Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas in Singapore 2010

Okay. SO I know I got excited about New Years and completely skipped Christmas so here is my Christmas post. We had a beautiful Christmas. The kids opened their gifts we got them in Canada which was lots of books and a Woody dollI know, but I can't think of another way to describe it. It isn't very manly sounding, but he is a kid and he loves it although he wanted Jesse more. Hubby would have none of that! I am actually proud to say we really never go overboard with gift buying for them. They tend to get just a couple of things to enjoy and then they get spoiled by grandparents and aunts and uncles.






So anything they got as far as presents came from friends and relatives here in Singapore as well as Santa of course.

I was actually thrilled that on Sunday we had a beautiful musical Christmas program for Sacrament. I definitely felt the spirit of Christmas and the joy of knowing that because of the birth of Christ and his life here on earth our life has meaning and purpose. I also love singing Christmas carols. Who doesn't? Well maybe the Grinch, but that changed when his heart grew. That made me think. My heart grew with every child I had. I know that sounds strange and those who don't have kids or who only have one and think they can't possibly have more room in their heart for another one they are missing out because it is true. Your heart does truly grow. Even my hubby said after we had our daughter I don't think we can have any more because I have no more love to give. Well his heart grew too. I know another sappy post. I can't help it. I love this time of year even if I m in a tropical climate with a tree made for a smurf. I love it!

Photobucket

Back to Christmas. The kids partied it up singing karaoke on Christmas Eve with the grandparents. Who, by the way, go out and party with their friends more often than I do and can do it more nights in a row than I can. Meanwhile my sister-in-law and I Watched a movie and ate some yummy mushroom risotto which she made. After we picked up the kids from the party because it was getting late we did the traditional one present opening on Christmas Eve which we always do.

Photobucket

This year was special because it was Maddox's first Christmas in which he understood the meaning of what opening a present is like. He of course was thrilled to find a train hiding inside the paper. You will also note the extra long pyjamas he got from his Gong Gong.

Photobucket

McKayla found arts and crafts which she was equally thrilled with.

Photobucket

Marcus was a little disappointed that we talked him into opening this present which we knew would contain chocolate or cookies from a family friend. Although his smile doesn't show it. He didn't get a lot of presents this year, but that doesn't mean he wasn't going to be thrilled with what he got. He is at that age where the presents get smaller and smaller yet cost so much more!!! We wanted him to save the excitement for Christmas morning. I know kind of mean right?

Christmas morning came and to our surprise Santa visits Singapore. And McKayla was really happy Santa wasn't mad that she stayed up so late the night before.

Photobucket

Monkey got more of what he was dreaming about I am sure. He actually woke up Christmas morning instinctively knowing that more presents were to be found.

Photobucket

McKayla was thrilled to get her sewing kit which we played with literally until dinnertime.

Photobucket

Marcus got the game he has been wanting since forever.

Afterwords more presents ensued.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Marcus even received what?

Photobucket

No way! Spoiled guy. I guess all the puppy eyes he gave to his Ah Ma and Gong Gong worked!

For dinner we went to a friends house and had a feast. Christmas Day is also his birthday so it makes it twice as special. The kids got even more presents and we stuffed ourselves with delicious bbq ribs (yes the same ones my son really enjoyed the last time), sausage, deliciously moist chicken, noodles, and of course yummy Christmas cakes and desserts to top it off. It was wonderful and I think that even though it wasn't our traditional Christmas we spent it with family and good friends enjoying each others company which is by far the most important part of Christmas.

I remember my first Christmas I spent here in Singapore. I was so worried about how it was so different and it can't be hot and be Christmas. Or how without a big tree and traditional dinner it isn't the same, but I learned that those things are not as important as the spirit you bring to Christmas and who you spend it with. So now I am a reformed traditonalist, enjoying my life with my family which includes the occasional untraditional Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. looks like you had fun, I love Maddox's face in the first set of Christmas morning. Oh and Jeff would like to know if he can be adopted by Ah Ma and Gong Gong 'casue he wants an ipad too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddox was quite funny after a while he would look at a wrapped present and ask me excitedly if it was a train.

    Tell Jeff I think everyone should have grandparents like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jeff. I want to get adopted too. Wait until Marcus discovers he can download books onto it. You need to post a picture of McKayla in her new dress. I love seeing the kids smiles. Maddox if too cute. I love your Christmas tree. Ours is only 2 ft high and sits on top of the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww - looks like you guys had an awesome Christmas! I love your last paragraph! It's so true! It doesn't matter where you have and what you have - it's about who you're with and what you bring to Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcus is too busy with the games to think about the books yet, but he has been reading some of the free ones. I think I actually took some pics of her already, but have yet to upload any. McKayla helped me pick out the tree. It was literally a little bigger than a coke can. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete